Improvising or “dancing without practice or preparation” can be a scary experience for beginners, and even for those who have danced their whole lives.
It is about creating and doing movements without choreography – just spontaneously.
It is used for fun (just like dancing at a party – you don’t choreograph that!), skill development, creativity and also for developing choreography
It is a movement skill as well as a form of dance.
Here are our top tips to help you improve your improvisation:
- Be in the moment – with the music – explore, react, and don’t overthink
- Listen and be aware of what else is going on, but also just move as you feel
- Be yourself – embrace your skills and style – don’t be too hard on yourself
- It’s okay to “copy” – be inspired by others and put your own twist on it – make it YOU
- Don’t compare yourself – everyone has different styles, interpretations, skills, favourite moves – so embrace yours and celebrate others but don’t compare
- Be free – don’t be shy!