Getting your turns or spins or pirouettes right can take lots of practice – you need to work on these basic turns a lot which will DEFINITELY help you improve the more complicated turns.
Here are our top tips for terrific turns
- Posture – keep lifted up. Engage your core or ‘use your tummy muscles’ so you are feeling tall and upright and strong
- Every turn is a balance – practice the balance until you can hold it strong without wobbles – be it in 2nd, 1st, one foot or two
- SPOT – focus on where you are going and make your head the last part of your body to turn. DON’T look at the floor – if you do that’s where you’ll end up!
- Push into the floor enough to move the turn but not too much that you move more than you should – this takes practice to get the right push
- Strong feet means its easier to turn – work on your feet – toes, rises, ankles, alignment so that when you turn your body is fully in line and avoid any wobbles or injuries
- Decide to finish your turn – don’t fall out of it, decide to end the single or the double with a clean movment
- Visualise yourself – imagine yourself doing the turn perfectly over and over again, and keep this in mind every time you do one!
Let us know what you find hardest about practicing your turns