Why take ballet?
Ballet has so many benefits for dancers of all ages. It is a more disciplined form of dance and classes have more structure to them than other forms of dance.
- Discipline is developed through the focus on structure and developing good technique
- Being prepared to take class in correct uniform/dancewear and with the appropriate appearance (no jewellery, hair back ideally in a bun, shoes, tights and leotard worn)
- Patience is learned as the steps, exercises and moves require a great deal of practice
- Fitness is improved in terms of strength, stamina, and flexibility – beneficial to all forms of dance
How are classes structured?
Classes start with exercises – at the barre and in the centre to develop skills, focus on technique and warm up.
Movement exercises are next looking at steps then creating combinations to practice.
We spend a little time on a focus point each class – this could be a small exercise or a combination of steps.
Choreographed routines are then taught – be they one off routines around our focus or working towards a performance or exam.
Improvisation or free expressive movement – allowing students to listen and learn how to interpret the movement within the ballet framework
All classes finish with the curtsy or bow – a little choreography is provided and the hard work celebrated
What to wear and what to bring.
We will have a school leotard that all students we’d love to wear for shows, performances and are suitable should they decide to take exams.
Ballet requires form fitting clothing to allow us to see the full body and its lines and movement.
- School leotard
- Ballet tights
- Ballet shoes
- Hair in a bun or at least up and off the face
- Optional – ballet skirt and ballet cardigan
If you are just joining us – any leotard is ok, as is leggings and a form fitting vest top.
Our uniform order will be placed on September 21st – allowing you time to try our classes and ensure they are happy. Dance wear is priced based on size – Leotards will be between £12 and £20, ballet shoes from £11, ballet tights from £9.
We also recommend they bring a drink with them and perhaps a snack for after class. A notebook is also handy to note down anything they need to remember or practice.
We can’t wait to welcome you along – Ballet runs Mondays at Ascension Kenton – £25 per month (or we offer multi class and family discounts – simple email for more information firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07969125975)